Club History

1742 - 1996

Crown green bowling has been played in the vicinity for over 250 years. Started by a group of local Gentry from the Mermaid Inn, now the Greswolde Hotel, in 1742 on land opposite the Church, between Kenilworth Road and Wilsons Road (now the site of the Berrow Homes). In 1892 play transferred to the White Swan (now Natwest Bank) the green being sited where the Village Hall / St. Johns Close now stands.

With the demolition of the White Swan in 1936 play continued at the rear of the Greswolde Arms adjacent the Lido (now the car park entrance to Knowle Junior School) and for a short spell on the croquet lawn of Knowle Hall, by kind permission of the Village Squire, the late Horace Everitt. Bowling also took place at the rear of the Wilsons Arms (now a car park for the Toby Carvery) and at the Avenue Club in Lady Byron Lane (still in existence I believe). In 1949 a new green was constructed on land between the Red Lion and Victoria Wines (now derelict and overgrown) where play continued until 1994.

1932 brought the formation of 'The Olde Knowle Ladies Bowling Club', now amalgamated with Ye Olde Knowle Bowling Club.

Following eviction from the Red Lion green, Ye Olde Knowle Bowling Club commenced a fund raising exercise and purchased a piece of land 1½ miles South West of Knowle, between Dorridge Village Hall and the Railway Inn, where a new purpose designed bowling green and Clubhouse have been constructed by the members at a cost of over £60,000.

Extracted from article written by Myffy Parsons.

1993 to 2011 

1993/1994 With the termination of the lease at the Red Lion in Knowle, October 1994, a group of very forward thinking members purchased the present site and work began in February 1993. The members worked hard to raise the money needed and they began to carve out the new facilities. Bowling continued seamlessly despite the move to Dorridge for the 1995 season

1996 In 1996 a new clubhouse was built and mainly funded by a grant from the 'Foundation for Sport and the Arts'. The new building came at a cost of more than £60,000.

1997 During this year the 'Knowle Ladies Bowling Club' were incorporated into YOKBC.

2007 A much needed second green was planned and constructed, again by a well organised and hard working group of members.

2008 The new Bottom Green was opened and the first season of games were played. A very different experience to the Top Green but just as challenging in other ways.

2011 The club has 24 teams and an exceptionally warm and welcoming membership of 150 + . New members are always welcome, especially young people aged 12-18. There is also a flourishing social side.